He was born on 1 July 1946 in the Bhumihar Brahmin family of Sofonari village in Ghazipur. He got his early education at his native place and nearby Machhti Inter College. For higher education, he moved to Varanasi and completed his graduation from Banaras Hindu University. He obtained his post-graduate degree in Economics from BHU. He also obtained PG Diploma in Mass Communication from Rajasthan University.
Ram Bahadur Rai started his career as a journalist with Hindustan Samachar. He wrote an eyewitness account of the Bangladesh Liberation War for Hindi Daily Aaj, published from Varanasi. Later on, he moved to Delhi and started working journalist with Hindi daily Jansatta. At Jansatta he worked as Bureau Chief and News Editor. For a short span of time, he worked as a special correspondent for Navbharat Times also. At present, he is working as group editor of Hindusthan Samachar.
In the year 2015 Government of India appointed Ram Bahadur Rai as the president of the Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) executive committee.
He was awarded Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award of India, in 2015. He was nominated as Patron, Integrated Talent Development Mission (ITDM), President of the 20 member board of Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA). He is the recipient of the Madhavrao Sapre National Journalism Award, Manikchandra Vajpayi National Journalism
The award, Bhagwandas Journalism Award. Satyagrahi Samman and Jagadguru Ramanandacharya Award and several other prestigious awards.
- Prashnotar Mein Purv Prdhaanamantri Vishvnath Pratap Singh Ki Jivni– Manjil Se Jyaadaa Safar
- Purv Pradhaanamantri Chandshekhar Ke Jariye Bhaartiy Raajniti Ke 30 Saal Kaa Aakalan Karti Pustak – Rahabri Ke Savaal
- Aachaary J.B Kriaplaani Ki Jivni – Shaashvat Vidrohi Raajnetaa
- Ped Nyuj Par Ek Pustak Ka Sampaadan – Kaali Khabron Ki Kahaani
- Janasattaa Ke Sansthaapak Sampaadak Prabhaash Joshi Ki Jivni – Lok Kaa Prabhaash Ke Sampaadak Mein Sahyog
- Hamaari Baala Saahab Devaras Pustak Kaa Sampaadan
- Pandit Dindyaal Upaadhyaay Samagr Ke Pahle Khand Mein Vah Kal Aur Aakhiri Khand Men Avsaan Kaa Lekhan
- Bhanuprataap Shukla – Vyaktitv Aur Vichaar Kaa Sampaadan
- Loknayak Jay Prkaash Naaraayan Ki Sankshipt Jivni
- Anek Pustkon Mein Purokathan , Jaise –
- Yah Sanvidhaan – Hamaaraa Yaa Angrejo Kaa
- Naamvar Singh – Saphar 90 Saal Kaa
- Vaayaral Saarasvat Saadhaan
- Belaag Lapet
- Samay Kaa Sach
- Raashtr Ki Lokaabhivyakti Men – Sanvidhaan Par Aupaniveshik Chhaayaa
- Bhagvaan Das Janjaagaran Patrkaaritaa Puruskaar -1990
- Hindi Akaadmi, Dilli, Patrkaaritaa Puruskaar – 1994-95
- Ekaatm Maanavadarshan Anusandhaan Evan Vikaash Pratishthaan Aapaatkaal (29 Jun 19975 Se March 1977 ) Lokatantr Ke Liye Sangharsh Ki Gaathaa Evan Satyaagrhi Sammaan, Jaipur-2009
- Maadhavraav Sapre Sangrahlaay Smriati Samaachaar Evan Shodh Sansthaan – Samaajik Sarokaaron Ki Patrkaaritaa Ke Liye -2010
- Vikalp Sansthaa Kaa Patrkaaritaa Sammaan 2010
- Maakhanlaal Chaturvedi Raashtriy Patrkaaritaa Evan Sanchaar Vishvidyaalay – Dvaaraa Ganesh Shankar Vidyaarthi Sammaan -2013
- Chhattisagarh Shaasan Dvaaraa Pandit Maadhav Raav Sapre Raashtriy Rachnaatmak Sammaan -2014
- Raashtrapati Dvaaraa Padmashri Sammaan -2015
- Hindi Ratn Sammaan 2019