Rajneesh has an overall experience of over 27 years with 15 years of experience in the South Asia renewable energy sector. He is founder and managing director of CESA – Clean Energy South Asia, supporting clients in developing investment projects in renewable energy in South Asia including policy and legal framework analysis (especially renewable energy auctions/tenders), renewable energy strategy, market intelligence, fundraising, project finance, and mergers and acquisitions (M&A). Rajneesh also serves as India Contributor at Renewable Energy Policy Network for the Millennium, a Scotland-based renewable energy policy multi-stakeholder network that connects actors to facilitate policy development towards a global transition to renewable energy.
Prior to founding CESA, Rajneesh served as India Country Manager and Head of South Asia Research and Analysis for Morning Standard Clean Energy Finance (MSCEF), where he was responsible for the company’s research, operations and team in India and South Asia region. He also served as Marketing and Communications Head for SUI – Soar Urja of India, an Indian renewable energy company that replaces fossil fuel for renewable energy at large industrial clients, as Research Head for Karnataka BioEnergy, an India based bioenergy company and as Principal Consultant for Government of India.
Rajneesh is Sr. Vice President & General Manager-Asia Pacific at Lyte Energy Inc, where he is an expert in sustainable energy laws and policy design. He has supported the analysis and development of energy policies in India & South Asia in partnership with organizations such as the World Bank and National Physical Laboratory. He has worked closely with local, state and national governments to design and implement hydrogen energy procurement pathways, model power purchase agreements, sustainable energy laws and policies. Recently he developed a model power purchase agreement for Scotland and a model request for proposals for Canada. He also contributed to the United Nations Environment Programme Law Drafters’ Guide that catalogues sustainable energy laws from more than 50 countries and provides sample text and guidance for policymakers in support of various renewable energy policy frameworks and goals.
Rajneesh has been a leading global campaigner in raising awareness, understanding, viability and uptake of zero-emission hydrogen-powered vehicles as a part of the collective mid-term goal to grow a pan-European and pan-Asia Pacific refuelling network.
Rajneesh has advised mid to large corporations, outsourcing regions and service providers across continents on optimizing offshore strategies and leveraging global delivery models. As an Advisor to governments and public-private enterprises, he has been instrumental in developing regional and global strategies for the growth of the outsourcing sector. He has provided competitive assessment, positioning strategy, sector roadmap, marketing and promotional assistance to several emerging regions and organizations alike. Rajneesh has extensive experience in all aspects of the sourcing life cycle, including sourcing strategies, vendor selection, contract development and negotiation, and vendor relationship performance management.
Rajneesh has also advised private equity funds on investments and acquisitions across environment sustainability sectors. He has advised a wide range of clients across on globalization through the development of offshore strategy, sourcing relationships, transition management, business case analysis, Joint Venture formation and process optimization. He has also been a strategic adviser in several cross-border M&A transactions involving major global outsourcing firms and has also led various IPOs.
A natural leader, through his career Rajneesh has acquired valuable experience in project financing, appraisal, post-sanction monitoring and recovery. He has been a part of various working groups on rehabilitation of enterprises. He has held a number of senior positions across Finance, Risk Management, Operations, Administration, General Management, Project Management and Change Management through his career span.
Rajneesh has been well acknowledged for my passion, leadership qualities, strategic thinking, connect with staff, productivity and process orientation which translates into significant value for customers, both internal and external.
As Chief Operating Officer – Environment & Sustainability focused Infrastructure Developer & Investor at ETI Dynamics, Rajneesh demonstrated experience and entrepreneurial leadership by playing a critical role in the continued growth of the organization as well as enhancing and implementing the organization’s strategic plan to achieve the organization’s next level of development.
He led technology & innovation in developing solutions in some key baseline segments of Energy, Water, Waste, Smart Cities, Urban Transportation, Food & Agriculture, Green ICT and Green Manufacturing. Through an adaptive approach that integrated technology, finance and economics, brought onto the platform, multiple stakeholders from the private sector, Government, multilateral agencies and financial entities.
Specific responsibilities included:
- Strategic Direction: Worked with the Board of Directors and staff to further develop and implement the strategy of the organization.
- Program, Product and Service Delivery: Oversaw design, marketing, promotion, delivery and quality of programs, products and services.
- Organizational Sustainability: Oversaw sustainability planning and implementation, including identifying resource requirements, researching funding sources, establishing strategies to approach funders, submitting proposals and administrating records and documentation.
- Community and Public Relations: Ensured that the organization and its mission, programs, products and services were consistently presented in a strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders.
- Board Administration and Support: Supported operations and administration of the Board of Directors by advising and informing Board members, interfacing between Board and staff.
- Financial & Risk Management: Recommended annual budget for Board approval; managed and accounted for the organization’s financial resources within those budget guidelines according to current laws, regulations and accounting practices. Reviewed and approved contracts and other financial commitments within the scope of delegated authority.
- Human Resource Management: Effectively managed the human resources of the organization according to authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conformed to current laws and regulations.
Rajneesh Wadhwa has a breadth of experience, gained with a range of international organisations, including Standard Chartered Bank, venture capital owned start-ups, private equity owned small to medium enterprises and a large IT company listed on National and Bombay Stock Exchange. During his career, he developed and implemented strategic transformation programs, which delivered market growth and operational performance improvements, whilst working in a variety of commercial and business development roles within clean energy, smart cities, urban transportation, wastewater & water and telecom sectors.
He has extensive experience in sustainable development, renewable energy, infrastructure development, site selection and due diligence, managing P&Ls, developing budgets and business development strategies. He has managed a large workforce and provided training and mentoring to several very successful employees. A result-oriented, driven, strategic thinker, Rajneesh continually strives for the best outcome for multiple stakeholders involved.
Rajneesh has advised public and private sector clients on major projects, Public-Private Partnerships (PPP) and financing closures in the energy, resources, telecom and infrastructure sectors. Rajneesh created the Renewable Energy Fund that, since 2010, has generated over $1 billion in financing for renewable energy projects in India & South Asia. He has worked in USA, UK, Australia & India, establishing relationships, negotiating transactions, and leading business development missions.
He has also managed several mandates spanning areas of operational efficiencies, performance management, cost control and market outreach by successfully harnessing the prowess of optimized processes, technology & computing and co-sourcing. He has spearheaded various projects guiding organizations through an effective, lasting transformation of their business support operations.
He brings in proven strengths in Operational Assessments, Strategy and Business Case for Change & Management, Internal Service Optimization, Service Management, Techno-Commercial Analysis & Multi-location Service Delivery. He has proven expertise in the space of Asset and Structured Finance, Project Debt Syndication, Corporate Advisory, International Business and Project Finance. In his capacity, he has participated in tailored solutions for corporate clients with complex financial objectives.
Rajneesh has proven expertise in
- Establishing costs, staffing, service levels, infrastructure and key performance indicators associated with each function
- Assessment of third-party commitments, including sourcing agreements
- Identify near-term alternatives to achieve cost reductions in certain transactional services that are synergistic with a longer-term operating model
- Help evolve governance, policy architecture, service delivery, sourcing and service provider management
- Documentation & Implementation of future goals for these services based on business vision and key drivers
- Identifying opportunities for additional optimization of costs and service quality based on industry norms and best practices, including in-house initiatives
- Establishing a market view in consideration of outsourcing each of the functions either individually or in logical groups along with costs, benefits, risks and service-provider viability
- Developing a set of “go forward” recommendations and follow-on project initiatives, each with a business case, for executive leadership.
Rajneesh has a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and a Masters in International Political Economy from Boston University.
Date of Birth: 23rd December 1966
Marital Status: Married
Children: One Nineteen-year-old son currently studying at Great Britain