Importance of Industrial Training for Hospitality Students
Industrial training is an indispensible part of a hospitality student’s life. It readies a sophomore to face the real world. The 6 months exposure in hotels hones the technical skills imbibed from college. Industrial training is a methodology to help Hotel management student get practical knowledge and develop as hospitality professional.
- Convert academic knowledge to Industrial Skills: This is perhaps the most important reason as to why every student should go through the grind of industrial training. One is able to test waters and practice theoretical knowledge into practical skills.
- Learn professionalism (for the first time): No number of presentations and role plays can prepare a student for hospitality professional life. It is only during the training the student gets exposed to the nuances of professionalism and understands its importance.
- Exposed to the nature of work in various departments: Students are taught about one topic at a time but the hotels teach them to play myriad roles at a time. Trouble shooting, problem solving and multitasking are skills that students imbibe while working in various departments like Front Office, Housekeeping, Food Production and Food & Beverage Service.
- Get updated on Industrial developments, Infrastructure & Global Trends in Hospitality: The real update on the latest trends, technical advances and development takes place for a student when he is in the middle of it all. The controlled laboratory atmosphere of a college can never surpass the real experience in the hotel.
- Interact with guests, become responsible and accountable: The hitch of speaking to strangers has to take a backseat as there is no escape from guest interaction during IT. The confidence that the students gain is very valuable which stays with them during their entire professional life. They learn to become responsible for their actions.
- Enhance knowledge, skills and confidence: The key competencies to be successful as a hotel management professional get evolved during training. The attitude “to serve with smile” finds a suitable turf in hotels which should be nurtured.
- Network which may help us during final placements: Hotels become meeting ground for relationships that sustain for a lifetime. Students being given preference in the selection process during final placement on the basis of good work done during IT is not uncommon in the industry. The HoDs and Managers always appreciate and remember a zealous, proactive and hardworking trainee.
- Create Some Memorable Life Experience: The experience of internship creates a kaleidoscope of memories for trainees. The incidences that leave a mark on a young intern’s mind may range from very bad to excellent but successful are those who learn something from each experience and treat every new challenge in a positive way.
Any student who accords due importance to Industrial Training, stays focused and enjoys the process will be benefitted with insurmountable exposure and experience. Most of the hotel organizations today are able to provide effective working career-oriented training. Its importance should be particularly understood for those starting out in the industry, because wasted effort costs valuable time in careers. You can be a manager at 25 with well targeted management training program or at 45 when you join at entry level.