Prof. Ramesh Chander Kuhad
Pro-Chancellor, SGT University
Prof. Ramesh Chander Kuhad, M.Sc., M.Phil. and Ph.D. Microbiology is ranked the top 2% of scientists globally in the field of Biotechnology by the Stanford University survey (2020). With a ranking of 325 in the World and 14 in our country, he has also served as Professor at University of Delhi and as Vice-Chancellor at Central University of Haryana, Mahendergarh.
Prof. Kuhad is Chairman/Member of Executive Council/Academic Council/Court/Governing Board of various universities, UGC and NAAC. In the past, he has also served as a member of the ‘University Grants Commission’ (UGC) and a member of ‘Executive Council and Governing Body of UGC NAAC’.
Over the years, he has contributed significantly as Chairperson in the
- development of model curriculum for UGC following the Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) for more than 100 undergraduate courses (2014),
- drafting UGC Regulations (2018) on ‘Minimum Qualifications for Appointment of Teachers and Other Academic Staff in Universities and Colleges’ and measures for the ‘Maintenance of standards in Higher Education’.
- Recently, he framed UGC Guidelines for Examination (2019-20) and new Session Calendar (2020-21) and (2021-2022) for Universities as well.
- developing manual of ‘Citizen Charter’, ‘Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)’, and ‘National Education Policy – 2020 Implementation Plan: Strategic Action Plan and Goals and Curriculum framework for Central University of Haryana.’
Not only this, he has also been felicitated as: ‘Fellow of Academy of Microbiological Sciences (FAMSc)’, ‘Fellow of National Academy of Sciences India (FNASc)’, ‘Fellow of National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (FNAAS)’, and ‘Fellow of Biotech Research Society (FBRS)’.
And his achievements doesn’t end here. Prof. R C Kuhad is the Founder Chairman of Indian Academy of Microbiological Sciences and has served as the Joint Director of Institute of Life Long Learning (ILLL), University of Delhi. Besides this, he has been the General Secretary (2004-2010) and President (2011-2012) of ‘Association of Microbiologists of India’. He is also well known for his work as an
- Editor of Scientific Reports- Nature Publishing Group, and Journals of Sustainable Energy
- Editor of ‘Indian Journal of Microbiology’
- Associate-editor of ‘Annals of Microbiology’, and
- Guest editor of Special Issue for Biodegradation and 3 Biotech Journals.
Besides this, he has reviewed research papers and various international journals as well.
Recognizing the extraordinary contribution of Prof. Kuhad in the field of Microbial Biotechnology, he has received several prestigious awards and recognitions, few of them are:- Life Time Achievement Award, AMI (2019), the prestigious Prof. G. S. Rangaswamy Memorial Award (Biennial) (2017) from ‘Association of Microbiologists of India (AMI)’, AMI-Dr. G. B. Manjrekar Award (2014), AMI-Platinum Jubilee Life Time Achievement Award (2013), AMI-Titan Biotech Award (2011), Short Term Biotechnology Overseas Research Associateship Award (2002-03), AMI- Alembic Award (1999), Biotechnology Long Term Overseas Research Associateship Award (1995-96). UNIDO/ICGEB Fellowship (1994) and Commonwealth Scholarship for Post-Doctoral Research (1985-1986).
His major research area is Secondary Agriculture (Crop-by-Product) Biotechnology comprising of wood (Lignocellulose) degrading enzymes production and their application in Bio-Bleaching, Bio-retting, Bio-Deinking and production of animal feed and bioethanol. He is the first person to come up with an idea to bleach paper pulp in an eco-friendly way. He has also developed an improved process for bioconversion of wheat straw into nutritionally enriched and digestible animal feed following solid-state fungal fermentation and an innovative process for the production of bioethanol. He has completed more than 18 projects funded from DBT, DST, UGC, CSIR, MoEF and MNRE. Besides authoring more than 200 publications and editing 5 books, he also has 4 patents to his credit in different areas of Crop-by-Product Biotechnology.
Moreover, he served as an expert of various review/evaluation committees of UGC, MoEF, MNER, Department of Biotechnology, Government of India and has been serving as member of Steering Committee for the Center of Excellence Programme of the Ministry of Environment and Forest, Govt. of India at CEMDE, University of Delhi.