Why Choose Psychology program after 12th?
The discipline of Psychology has become one of the most popular subjects of choice for both Science and Arts students in school and for Graduate and higher studies. Psychology as a subject of study not only provides the student with better self-awareness but also equips one with a psychological mindedness so as to better understand others’ behavior in a variety of contexts and situations. The subject not only has a rich history but is witnessing unprecedented growth in a huge variety of life areas ranging from mental health and illness to positive psychology-based strength-focused interventions. In contemporary life, professional psychologists work in almost every sphere of daily life – contribute to designing better pre-schools, curriculum and pedagogies; teach industry the best ways to select and motivate employees; provide crucial insight into the background of social problems such as suicide, crime, and poverty; help to mentally strengthen and train athletes; help the police and defense agencies to investigate crime; help organizations and the corporate world to reduce stress in the workplace and help marketing teams to develop more effective consumer. In addition, with massive developments in Cognitive Neuropsychology, artificial and machine intelligence, Psychology has already taken a huge step towards foreseeing the future of mankind and preparedness for what life will bring, thereby carrying immense potential and empowerment for its students and practitioners.
What will you learn?
The BA (Hons) Psychology program offered by the Faculty of Behavioural Sciences is designed to provide a basic and foundational understanding of human mind and behavior through theoretical study, research mindedness, interactive and innovative pedagogy as well as practical study in a range of areas. Our degree is informed continually by latest developments and research in the field and is transacted by staff who are also practitioners in various areas of Psychology such as Clinical, Counseling, and Organizational, Social, Special Education, Speech and Language Pathology.
The primary goal of the course is to introduce students with the basic knowledge of psychology in pure and applied areas and promoting skilled based education. This course intends to facilitate self-discovery in the students and ensure their effective role in the emerging needs and challenges of society.
- To provide an integrated, academic and practical exposure to the students.
- To orient students to the various core and applied areas of Psychology
- To make students understand the basic concepts of psychology with application in society, industry, organizations, and community.
- To develop a sensitivity for psychological dimensions for various issues during the lifespan of an individual.
- To develop self-understanding as well as that of other people and relationships.
- To provide a forum for learning where students can develop, deepen and expand their theoretical knowledge of Psychology.
- To offer the opportunity for progression to the postgraduate level within the many fields of psychology and related specialisms.
3 years (6 Semesters) Regular Mode
10+2 with minimum 50% marks in aggregate of the best 5 papers.
The program intends to integrate different pedagogies including student interactive sessions, focused/spot group discussion, problem/project-based learning, students’ and teachers’ seminar, etc. exposure with professionals, field training and making research reports. A good amount of practical input has been envisaged for the course along with each paper which would help the student to understand the theoretical aspects with reality-based outcomes. Students shall have training with the tools and techniques in the laboratory and field settings.
- A. Psychology (Hons.) is a six-semester (3 years) program with the Choice Based Credit System (CBCE). The students undertake practical work in various service centres and laboratories. The theory teaching will be classroom-based knowledge acquisition of the subject matter, while practical exposure shall include laboratory and community settings.
C-PSY-01: Foundations of Human Behaviour
C-PSY-02: Schools of Psychology
C-PSY-03: Experiments in Psychology
C-PSY-04: Physiological Psychology
C-PSY-05: Cognitive Psychology
C-PSY-06: Psychological Testing
C-PSY-07: Social Psychology
C-PSY-08: Abnormal Psychology
C-PSY-09: Basics of Personality
C-PSY-10: Measurement in Psychology
C-PSY-11: Research Methods
C-PSY-12: Statistics in Psychology
C-PSY-13: Positive Psychology
C-PSY-14: Community Psychology
C-PSY-15: Applied Social Psychology
C-PSY-16: Guidance and Counseling
C-PSY-P-01: Foundations of Human Behaviour
C-PSY-P-02: Schools of Psychology
C-PSY-P-03: Experiments in Psychology
C-PSY-P-04: Physiological Psychology
C-PSY-P-05: Cognitive Psychology
C-PSY-P-06: Psychological Testing
C-PSY-P-07: Social Psychology
C-PSY-P-08: Abnormal Psychology
C-PSY-P-09: Basics of Personality
C-PSY-P-10: Measurement in Psychology
C-PSY-P-11: Research Methods
C-PSY-P-12: Statistics in Psychology
C-PSY-P-13: Positive Psychology
C-PSY-P-14: Community Psychology
C-PSY-P-15: Applied Social Psychology
C-PSY-P-16: Guidance and Counseling
According to Dr. Patrick Rosenkrantz (2018), “Psychology is a very versatile degree that trains students in a range of skills and domains that are relevant to many employers. Psychology graduated are able to think critically and scientifically, use computers and software packages, analyze statistics, write analytical reports, discuss and reason complex arguments, solve problems at many levels, work in teams, show initiative and leadership and so on. The capability to adaptively use psychology for personal social, professional gain is called psychological literacy and the main aim of many undergraduate psychology programs is to develop graduates who can use psychology in these different areas of life”.
Since Psychology is a sensitive discipline which has the potential to facilitate changes in ones and others lives, it is a highly professional degree and it is desirable that Psychology graduates undergo post-graduate studies before starting their professional careers as well as obtain advanced research or academic qualifications so as to excel in their chosen area.
The students upon completion of their degree can opt for any of the following and more career options:
- Psychology is a popular subject for competitive exams such as Civil services.
- Psychologists are increasingly sought after in areas related to Cognitive psychology such as Artificial Intelligence and Machine learning, which will be potent areas of future societies.
- The corporate world as life coaches, stress management experts, and human resources development and training.
- Opportunities for further study and research in Psychology and its various branches.
- Positive Psychology and strengths-based interventions.
- As counselors with a variety of NGOs and private agencies related to mental health and well-being, schools, guidance centres, old age homes, trauma rehabilitation centres, etc.
- In colleges and Universities as research staff and after Masters as lecturers.
- A boom in psychometric testing has also reached financial institutions for the assessment of potential customers.
- As trainers and coaches in sports facilities, wellness centres, and yoga centres.
- Consultation services for lifestyle diseases and health psychology-related interventions.
BA (HONS.) PROGRAM IN PSYCHOLOGY
FACULTY OF BEHAVIOURAL SCIENCES, SGT UNIVERSITY, GURUGRAM