How long does the COVID-19 infection last?
It is not confirmed how long the virus that causes COVID-19 last on any surface, but through several investigations all over the world, validated that it is like other coronaviruses. Studies suggested that the virus stays on the surface for a few hours or up to several days. The stability of the infection depends on various conditions such as type of surface, temperature or humidity of the environment
In case you suspect that the surface is infected, use simple disinfectant to kill viruses and save yourself and others. To keep you safe, clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer or wash them with soap and water. Moreover, avoid touching your eyes, mouth, or nose after touching any surface, doorknob, electric switch or door handle.
How can I prevent the spread of novel coronavirus?
COVID-19 is a contagion disease, and to protect ourselves and others from this fatal virus. We need to practice personal hygiene and also, keep our surroundings clean. Foremost we need to maintain physical distance to avoid direct contact of person to person. There are some essential preventive measures to follow so that we can save our family and us.
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap and water following proper steps to clean hands.
- Use alcohol-based sanitizers when you have not water and soap to clean hands.
- Do not use hand to sneeze or cough instead you should use your bend elbow
- Discard tissue immediately after use and dispose of it in the bin
- Use disinfectants to clean your devices
- Avoid raw animal products
- Use mask while traveling in public transport
- Maintain a proper distance of one meter while person interaction
- Don’t use cutlery or personal belongings with anyone at the workplace or home
- Seek medical assistance if you are showing early symptoms
How could I become infected with COVID-19?
COVID-19 can be transmitted from person to person. The transmission can be done through direct and indirect contact.
- When people are contacting without keeping a distance of six feet or one meter.
- When an infected person is contacting an unaffected person without taking proper preventive measures.
- It can be transmitted when the infected person is sneezing or coughing without any taking precautions and leaving respiratory droplets in the air.
- These droplets can land in the mouth or nose of the contacting person and inhale in the lungs; this process of inhaling can cause COVID-19 to an unaffected person.
Should I worry about COVID-19?
The world is scared and worried because of this unprecedented virus, as there is uncertainty among people about this infection. COVID-19 can be defeated by unity, inner strength, and courage. Also, we can avoid this lethal virus from spreading just by maintaining a physical distance. Socially we need to become united, but we should not come in contact with each other physically.
We all need to follow the guidelines to keep personal hygiene to fight this pandemic. It is only our commitment that can make us win. The time has come when all nations should stand together to register victory over this virus.
Also Read: Should I test Coronavirus?
What is a community spread?
A woman who had not traveled to China and even not exposed to someone who is carrying this virus, this was the first case of community spread appeared in the United States, when a woman had picked this virus from an unknown person. As it is an infectious disease, so she caught this virus with whom she had come into contact.
How to protect me?
We can protect our family when we can protect ourselves from this virus. It is advised and urged that everyone should follow social distancing. It is not only the Govt’s responsibility to obstruct people, but now it also becomes the moral responsibility of every person to stay home to keep us and our society safe. Only social distancing and personal hygiene can protect us from this virus.
Who is at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19?
Everyone is requested by the govt to stay home and avoid meeting people to protect themselves from this infection. However, certain medically compromised patients need to keep themselves in isolation to stay safe. These are:
People who have attained the age of 65 years or older than that are at higher risk to catch this virus
People who are HIV positive can get severe illness by this virus as it also depends on your immunity. As we all know that HIV positive patients are already infected and can catch infection faster than other medically unfit people.
COVID-19 directly affects your respiratory tracts that are nose, throat, and lungs. This attack can cause an asthma attack and can lead to pneumonia or acute respiratory disease.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women:
Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding their babies have to take care of themselves and their infants. As they can get infected through an ill person more than a healthy person.